How to make Vietnamese Summer rolls
These are very simple to make and are ideal for picnics or as a starter. This is a fun recipe to do with children and friends. They are extremely tasty and healthy too!
Ingredients (makes 12 in total)
1 pack of rice pancakes
100g of thin rice noodles
500g cooked king prawns
3 tablespoons of coriander leaves
1 iceberg lettuce
1 tbsp crushed salted peanuts
For the dips
1 jar sweet chilli dip
50ml soya sauce
1 tbsp honey
50ml fish sauce
1 tbsp fresh mint
- Prepare all the ingredients for the filling. Peel and grate the carrots, cut the cucumber into thin batons, cut up the iceberg lettuce leaves so they are about 2 cm wide and 8 cm long.
- Soak the rice noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes (some instructions may vary, check the packet).
- Fill a wide bowl or frying pan with warm water.
- Put all the ingredients into separate bowls.
- Soak the rice pancakes in the warm water one at a time for 20 seconds until they are soft, do not leave for too long or they will break. Transfer to a plate and add the filling using the following steps. Do not worry if the pancakes are quite wet. Start by placing the filling slightly off centre.
Step 1 – Start with a few coriander leaves
Step 2 – 4 prawns
Step 3 – 3 sticks of cucumber
Step 4 – Grated carrot, a few crushed peanuts and a small handful of rice noodles
Step 5 – 1 layer of lettuce leaves
Step 6 – A sprinkle of coriander leaves
Step 7 – You’re ready to roll. Start by folding the sides in first.
Step 8 – Fold the pancake over the filling and keep rolling all the way to the end. The pancake will naturally stick. Transfer to a plate.
When all the pancakes are made make the dip.
Mix together the soya sauce, honey, water, fish sauce and lime juice. Add a tbsp of finely chopped mint.
Serve the pancakes with the soya and sweet chilli dip.